1. Unbox Your Honbike U4
1. What's in the U4 box
2. Prepared for assembling
- 1. Open the carton carefully and try not to damage it. Take out the foam.
- 2. Take the bicycle out of the carton carefully by holding the seat tube and handlebar.
- NOTE: Please do not hold on to the front wheel and the fender when lifting upwards.
- 3. You can find the toolbox at the bottom of the carton, put it aside for later use.
- 4. Remove the straps and the foam packaging from the bike.
- NOTE: Don’t throw the foam packaging away; you might need them if you ever need to return the bike.
- 5. Rotate the handlebar anticlockwise.
- 6. Flip the bicycle 180 degrees and place it on levelled ground. Ensure that the bicycle does not fall.
3. Install the front fender
- 1. Take out the front fender and attach it to the front fork.
- 2. Loosely tighten the three M5 bolts to the front fork in the order A, B and C using Hex key #3.
- NOTE: The fender can move up and down in a small range.
- 3. Then firmly tighten each bolt in the order of A, B and C until all bolts are secured.
4. Install the front wheel
- 1. Hold on to the middle part of the axle tightly with one hand, and loosen the axle nut on any side anticlockwise with a socket spanner. Remove the axle nut, washer, and axle and set them aside for later use.
- 2. Remove the plastic guard that protects the brake disc.
- 3. Put the front wheel into the front fork. Make sure the brake disc is aligned with the brake pad.
- 4. Install the axle on the front fork.
- 5. Place the washer and nut you removed before in sequence. Tighten up the nut on the outside clockwise using the socket spanner.
- 6. Cover the dropout cover on both sides.
- 7. Now you can flip the bicycle 180 degrees, and put down the kickstand.
5. Adjust the right brake lever
- 1. Find the screw under the right brake lever.
- 2. Use Hex Key #5 to loosen the bolt counterclockwise.
- 3. Once the bolt is adequately loosened, adjust the brake lever to an appropriate and comfortable position, then tighten the screw clockwise.
6.Install the pedals
- Take the right pedal with the label R. Screw it clockwise onto the crank by hand. Use Hex Key #6 to tighten it.
- Take the left pedal with the label L. And then screw it anticlockwise onto the crank. Use Hex Key #6 to tighten it.
7. How-to-Adjust-Seat Height
- 1. Turn the seat post lock clockwise.
- 2. Lift the saddle upward to appropriate height.
- 3. Tighten the seat post lock counterclockwise until it is locked perpendicular to the ground.
- 4. When you see the “Minimum Insertion" warning mark, the saddle has been raised to its highest position.
2. Before Your First Ride
1. Check if the front fender bolts, front wheel nuts, brake lever bolts, saddle adjustment bolt, and saddle clamp bolt are tightened before riding.
2. Electrical system
- Make sure that you are familiar with the functions of all buttons and the meanings of the display information by referring to the content in the relevant sections of the electrical system.
- Before you set off for the first time, check whether the battery is fully charged.
- Check if the front light and rear light can be turned on normally and if the front and back reflectors are not damaged.
- Check if the display works normally.
3. Transmission system
- Push the bicycle forward and backward, check whether the front and rear wheels can rotate smoothly to ensure that there is no stalling or unsteadiness during riding.
- To inspect the belt, rotate the rear wheel and check the inside and outside surfaces, looking for cracks, missing teethm tears, or holes.
- Check tire pressure. Press the tires with your thumbs, which shall be solid and firm. If the tire pressure is insufficient, inflate to an air pressure of at least 3.4 - 3.6 bar (50 Psi), but over-inflation(4.2 bar) should be avoided.
- Check whether the handlebar and front wheel are straight. Make sure the groove on the stem is aligned with the mark on the head tube.
- Adjust the saddle to a proper height. Check that you can reach the floor with the tip of your toes when sitting on the saddle.
- Check if the seat post is locked tightly before riding to ensure that the saddle and seat tube are securely fastened.
- During the assembly at HONBIKE, the right brake lever is used to control the rear brake and the left brake lever is used to control the front brake. Check if the brake setting could match with your habit. Try to use the rear brake first when braking.
- Stand next to the bicycle, pull the left and right brake levers at the same time and push the bicycle forward, the brake discs should be able to prevent the wheels from moving.
- You need to try braking on a flat, non-slip surface to make sure you can get used to the braking effect of the HONBIKE U4 before riding it in traffic on a public road.
NOTE: In the UK, China and Japan, the brake setting is different with the left brake lever for rear brake and the right brake lever for front brake.
- Check whether the pedals are tightened onto the cranks.
3. How to Register your Honbike U4?
Before using your HONBIKE, we recommend to register it via the HONBIKE app. You can scan the QR code on the second page of the owner’s manual or go to Apple store or Google play store to download the app.
- Open the HONBIKE app, press Register to create your HONBIKE account.
- Select your region and enter your email address. Enter the Verification Code we send to the email address. And then set your password.
- Once you have successfully created your account, log in with your account. Now you can register your HONBIKE by pressing Owner registration.
- Scan the frame number and validation code on the back of your owner's manual.
- Press and hold the Power button on your HONBIKE until the display is on.
- Your HONBIKE will be connected to the app automatically. It usually takes 3 to 8 seconds, depending on the connectivity.
- When the Bluetooth and the Lock icon on your app light up, you have successfully connected your HONBIKE to the app.
*Notice: Before use your HONBIKE, you need to register your Honbike via Honbike app. You will need a mobile phone, the owner’s manual and your eBike.
- Register Your eBike in 3 Setps
Step 2: Create your HONBIKE owner's account
- Open your HONBIKE APP.
- Choose 'Registration' button.
- Select your region and enter your email address to create HONBIKE owner's account.
- Once success, log in with your account for the e-bike registration steps.
Step 3: Register your Honbike
- Check the back of your owner's manual.
- Find the frame number and verification code section.
- Use your phone to scan the number & code to register your HONBIKE.
*Notice: Each eBike can only be registered by one email account at once. Please confirm that you are the owner of the e-bike.
4.General Questions of U4
Charging the battery
When the battery is running out, the last grid of the battery indicator would flash, which means the battery needs to be charged immediately. Gently open the rubber cover and insert the charger plug into the charging port. It takes about four hours to complete charging, and when the color of the charger light turns from red to green, the battery is fully charged. Unplug your charger and put the rubber cover back on when your bike is fully charged.
Maximum permitted overall weight
HONBIKE U4 can carry a maximum load of 120kg. Riding range and speed will be affected by the load carried by it, power assist settings, road conditions, tyre pressure and weather conditions.
NOTE: Exceeding the loading capacity will void all warranties and may result in unsafe operation of the product, which in turn may affect your life safety.
NOTE: Make sure you have good control of the e-bike carrying your luggage and keep it balanced. If you can't control it well, please reduce the weight of the luggage. Sudden shifts in load while riding can affect your balance and lead to serious injury or death. We recommend that you practice how to control the HONBIKE U4 with luggage in a safe area before riding on public roads.
How to increase riding mileage?
Many conditions may affect the range of the bicycle, including load, riding speed, rider's pedal power, tire pressure and type, road conditions and weather conditions. Continuous use of motor assist and/or selecting the highest speed mode while riding will reduce the HONBIKE U4 range.
To maximize the range of HONBIKE, you can try the following method:
- Try to pedal as much as possible.
- We recommend you to use the low power assist level to ride the bicycle on flat roads or downhill roads and select the high power assist level when riding against the wind, uphill, and with heavy loads.
- Try to keep the load to a minimum level.
- Inflate the tires properly and keep the tire pressure within the normal range.
- In case of poor road conditions (e.g., bad pavement, potholes or speed bumps), reduce the speed and adjust the riding modes.
How to set the pedal assist level?
U4 is equipped with four riding modes.
Bicycle mode: The motor will not offer any assistance, but the display and lights will still function.
Eco mode: Most efficient mode for maximum range while offering a small level of power assist.
City mode: Medium power mode, medium range.
Sport mode: Maximum power mode for high-speed riding.
Can I adjust the brake lever angle?
Yes. You can adjust the brake lever angle by loosening the bolt on the bottom of the brake lever using Hex key #5. It is important to make the adjustment based on your standing position on the bike. Make sure you have adjusted to the correct position and tighten the bolt.
Can I customize my bike？
Many parts of HONBIKE U4 are customized, which aren’t compatible with regular ebike parts. Please do not replace any parts or change battery capacity or motor power unless instructed to do so by HONBIKE to avoid damage and danger. If you have made any changes without permission, you shall solely be responsible for any consequences.
5. How to Customize U4 LCD Display?
Meet Honbike U4 Display
Power on/off Press and hold the Power button until the display is on/off
Power assist Short press Plus button to increase the power assist level
Short press Minus button to decrease the power assist level
Trip distance The display shows single trip distance by default. Short press the Power button to check total distance.
Turn on/off the light Press and hold the Plus button until the lights are on/off
Walk mode Press and hold the Minus button
NOTE: The power will automatically shut off after 5 minutes if not being used.
NOTE: Only activate “walk mode”feature when pushing the bicycle.
- When the display is turned on, press and hold the Plus and Minus buttons at the same time to enter the advanced settings interface.
- Press and hold the Minus button for 2 seconds to quit the setup mode.
- After entering the setup mode, the interface will show P1 and the number 1 will blink.
- Press Plus or Minus buttons to switch between different parameter settings.
- P1 - Metric/English system switching;
- P4 - Adjust backlight brightness;
- P5 – Auto power-off timer;
- P6 – Single trip distance reset.
- In the advanced settings interface, if no operation is performed for more than 30 seconds, the system will automatically exit the setup mode and the current parameters will be automatically saved.
How-to-Set the Pedal Assist Level
Level 0 No motor assistance
Level 1 & 2 Eco mode, low motor power assistance
Level 3 & 4 Normal mode, medium motor power assistance
Level 5 Sport mode, high motor power assistance
Honbike is equipped with smart sensor to provide automatic power assistance when going uphill.
NOTE: When riding the bicycle for the first time, we advise you to start from power assist level 1. When you are familiar with the bicycle and have experience riding it, then try higher levels. Higher levels mean higher speeds, so please keep your mind focused when riding the bicycle.
NOTE: Do not step on the pedals before sitting in the saddle, select the lowest drive assistance and be ready to brake when you set off. Risk of falling!
How to reset the single trip distance?
When the interface shows P6, short press the Power button, then press the Plus button to switch between “y” and “n”. When the interface shows “y”, short press the Power button to reset the single trip distance. After completing the setting, short press the Power button to save the setting.
How to switch between mile and km?
When the interface displays P1, short press the Power button first, then press the Plus or Minus button to switch between mile and km. After the setting is completed, short press the Power button to save the setting.
How to adjust backlight brightness?
When the interface displays P4, short press the Power button first, then press the Plus or Minus button to set the backlight brightness. 1 stands for the lowest brightness, and 5 stands for the highest brightness. After selecting the value, short press the Power button to save the setting.
How to set an automatic display shutdown timer?
When the interface displays P5, short press the Power button first, then press the Plus or Minus button to adjust the automatic shutdown time in minutes. 0 means that automatic power off function will be disabled. After completing the setting, short press the Power button to save the setting.
6. How to Adjust Your Honbike U4?
How-to-Fold/Unfold the Pedals
- How to fold the pedal
- 1. Place both thumbs on the crank with all other fingers on the end of the pedal.
- 2. Press the pedal toward the frame and then fold the pedal upward.
- How to unfold the pedal
- 1. Push down on the folded part of the pedal with your palm until hearing a “click", indicating that the pedal has been unfolded in place.
- Installing the battery
- 1. Pull the folding stand release inside the folding stand up to the end, then push the folding stand down until it stops.
- *If you push the folding stand without pulling the folding stand release to the end first, the folding stand may break.
- 2. Insert the bulge of the battery into the battery compartment of the bicycle.
- 3. After the lower part of the battery is in place, push the battery toward the battery compartment until hearing a “click”.
- * Double check the battery is installed in place, otherwise the battery may fall out.
- 4. Pull the folding stand release inside the folding stand to the end, and gently lift the folding stand.
- Removing the battery
- 1. Pull the folding stand release inside the folding stand up to the end, then push the folding stand down until it stops.
- 2. Insert the key.
- 3. Hold the battery to prevent it from falling to the ground. Turn the key counterclockwise to open the battery lock.
- 4. Remove the battery and pull out the key.
- 5. Pull the folding stand release inside the folding stand to the end, and gently lift the folding stand.
- *If your battery hits the ground and is damaged, please stop using it and contact us promptly.
How-to-Use the Folding Stand?
- Lower the folding stand
- Pull the folding stand release inside the folding stand up to the end, then push the folding stand down until it stops.
- If you push the folding stand down without pulling the folding stand release to the end, the folding stand may break.
- Lift the folding stand
- Pull the folding stand release inside the folding stand to the end, and gently lift the folding stand.
7. How to Install U4 Accessories?
Can I change the saddle?
Honbike U4 saddle and seat tube are a fixed kit, and you can't remove the saddle separately. If you prefer a more traditional saddle, we have designed a saddle replacement kit, you can purchase it at our webstore.
You can refer to for the procedure of saddle replacement.
How to change U4 saddle?
HONBIKE has designed a saddle replacement kit for people who prefer a more traditional saddle.
Steps for saddle replacement:
- 1. Unscrew the four bolts holding the saddle kit counter-clockwise using hex key #4. Remove the saddle kit from the frame.
- 2. Unlatch the seat post clamp, and lift the seat tube upward to an appropriate height to easily loosen the saddle bolt to lift up the top plate. Then close the seat post clamp.
- 3. Unscrew the saddle bolt counterclockwise using hex key #6.
- 4. Slide the saddle rails of your new saddle into the channel of the plates. Position the plates so that they hug the saddle rails. Once you’re happy with the positioning, tighten the bolt (18-22Nm).
- 5. Attach the new saddle kit to the frame. Align the four bolt holes on the seat tube with the four holes on the frame. Tighten the four bolts clockwise (4-8Nm).
- 6. To adjust your seat up or down, unlatch the seat post clamp. Move the seat to the desired height and close the seat post clamp.
How to install U4 battery case?
This battery case is specifically designed for U4 battery. You can place one battery inside the case and attach the battery case to the bike.
Steps for attaching the battery case:
- 1. Unscrew the four bolts holding the saddle kit counter-clockwise using hex key #4. Put the bolts aside for later use. Remove the saddle kit from the frame.
- 2. Put the battery case bracket on the seat tube, then put the seat tube back on the frame.
- 3. Align the seat tube holes on the bracket with the holes on the seat tube.
- 4. Use hex key #4 to tighten the four M5*12 seat tube bolts clockwise with a torque of 4.5Nm.
- 5. Use hex key #4 to tighten the two M5*16 bracket bolts clockwise with a torque of 4Nm.
- 6. Align the battery case with the slots on the bracket and slide it down to install the battery case on the frame. Grab the battery case and lift it upward to remove it from the frame.
Can I install accessories such as a rear rack, child seat, and smart phone holder?
U4 has a load capacity of 100kg, including luggage. It is not designed to carry people or cargo, please do not modify and install a rear rack or child seats, as this may exceed U4 load capacity and cause danger.
U4 does not provide smart phone holder at the moment. If you want to install a smart phone holder, you need to pay attention to the unique handlebar design of U4, and check if the holder matches the handlebar.
5.Servicing & Maintenance of U4
How often should I get my bike serviced?
The user shall be responsible for safe riding and regular maintenance. Your bicycle needs a regular service. Below is our recommended service frequency based on how often you ride.
Monthly (or every 500kms/ 300 miles )
- Check tire pressure. Press the tires with your thumbs, which shall be solid and firm. If the tire pressure is insufficient, inflate to an air pressure of 3.4-3.6 bar, avoid over inflating your tyres.
- Clean and lubricate moving parts regularly.
- Check that all hardware is tightened to the torque specifications listed in the Recommended Torque Values section of this manual.
- Check your brake pads for signs of wear. Replace if necessary.
- Check the frame, front fork, kickstand, and belt for any damage, deformation, or cracks.
- Check all wiring harnesses (such as brake wires, front light wires ) of the whole bicycle for any damage or wear.
- Check the charger and its wiring harness for damage and check if the bicycle can be charged normally.
Quarterly (or every 1500kms/ 900miles)
- Check all items on the monthly service list above.
- Check tire tread for excessive wear. Replace if necessary.
- Check and update to the latest firmware version.
The maintenance interval of the belt of HONBIKE U4 is about 10,000 km. Please do not replace it without permission. To replace, please find a professional organization or designated maintenance location of HONBIKE brand for replacement. Or you can contact HONBIKE after-sales team at firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: This maintenance interval is based on normal usage. If you ride your Honbike HF01 more than average, or in rain, snow, or bad road conditions, maintain your bicycle more often than the suggested interval.
How to maintain your Honbike?
Compared with conventional ebikes, the HONBIKE U4 is low maintenance with fewer complicated parts that require less attention for simplicity. After riding for a period of time, like any bicycle, some parts may loosen, wear or become damaged, so inspection and maintenance at regular intervals will extend the service life of your HONBIKE U4 and prevent damage and potential accidents. Store your HONBIKE U4 in a clean, dry place to avoid rust and corrosion.
The maintenance of HONBIKE U4 is generally divided into the following tasks:
- Cleaning: Wipe the whole bicycle and parts with a damp rag and a low residual cleaner. Clean the belt when it’s visibly dirty. Dry thoroughly after cleaning to prevent corrosion and rust.
Remove any oil residue on the brake discs.
- Inspection: Brakes, tires, lights, and belt should be inspected regularly. Please refer to the sections “Before the First Ride” and “Before Every Ride”.
- Tightening: The fasteners of the whole bicycle should be tightened periodically by referring to the section of Recommended torque Values.
- Lubricate: Clean and lubricate the joint between the pedal and the crank.
- Adjustment: Brakes should be adjusted periodically. Ensure front anad rear brakes work properly. Check brake cable tension, replace brake cables if necessary.
- Replacement: If a part is damaged or unusable or has any cracks, scratches or color changes, the part has reached the end of its service life and should be replaced promptly.
Battery safety information
- In order to get the maximum life from your battery you should take care to use, store and recharge it correctly.
- The battery is generally not fully charged when the bicycle is stored and transported. So be sure to fully charge the battery before using it. If the battery is used without fully charging, its service life will be compromised.
- Disconnect the battery after it is fully charged, and do not charge it for more than 5 hours each time.
- Do not leave the bicycle unattended when it is being charged.
- Never charge your bicycle in a room that does not have an appropriate smoke detector. Make sure you can hear your smoke detector throughout your house.
- When charging, please place the bicycle in a safe place inaccessible by children.
- Battery charging and discharging conditions: the battery shall be charged at 0°C~45°C and discharged at 0°C~60°C; If the bicycle is used in cold weather, leave it indoors for at least an hour to reach room temperature before charging.
- When the battery is not used for a long time, please charge it for 30 minutes or to 75% every three months, to prevent over-discharging. Over-discharging will lead to permanent damage to the battery.
- The bicycle shall be protected from impacts, rain, water immersion, heat ources, destruction of appearance and short circuit of terminals.
- Please do not disassemble the bicycle and the battery without permission. HONBIKE is not responsible for any problems caused by unauthorized disassembly.
- Riding in cold weather will reduce the range of the battery by up to 50%.
- The battery provided for HONBIKE U4 shall not be used in an empty state. HONBIKE is not responsible for any problems caused by customers using empty batteries without permission. Do not dispose of any battery packaging materials.
- Please dispose of used batteries according to local laws and regulations. Do not dispose of any used batteries randomly to prevent environmental pollution.
- Please place the charger on a solid surface for charging and do not to cover it during charging. Do not place it on a carpet or textile surface or block its vents, as the charger may heat up during charging (up to 40-50°C).
- When using the charger, make sure there is no debris or flammable items around.
- The charger contains a HV circuit, so it is prohibited to disassemble or tamper with its power management system without permission; when using and storing the charger, liquid and metal particles should be prevented from penetrating into the charger, and the charger shall be protected from drops and impacts.
- Check the charger, charger cables, and battery for damage before beginning each charge. Do not use any damaged charger or plug for charging.
- Do not attempt to disassemble the battery. Risk of fire.
Care for your carbon drive
HONBIKE U4 has equipped the Gates Carbon Drive™ belt that is extremely durable and offers long life when properly handled.
- Wash with water to remove debris
- Do not twist, backbend, crimp, invert, bundle, or zip tie the belt. Do not use the belt as a strap wrench or chain whip. Do not lubricate, pry on, or roll on the belt.
- Proper belt tension is essential for optimum operation of the Gates Carbon Drive System. Lack of belt tension can lead to “skipping”. Too much tension can damage other components and increase the wear of your Carbon Drive System. The Gates Carbon Drive Mobile App can measure the belt tension in the form of the natural frequency (Hz) of the belt span.
- Replace your belt when it shows these signs of wear and tear.
Where can I find U4 frame number?
The frame number of HONBIKE U4 can be found on the frame. It consists of 15 digits. You can also find it on the back of your owner's manual.
How to register your U4?
Before use your U4, you need to register it via HONBIKE app.
You will need a mobile phone, the owner’s manual that comes with your U4.
- Download the HONBIKE app
- Create your HONBIKE account
- Register your U4.
- Connect your U4 to HONBIKE app
You can scan the QR code on the second page of the owner’s manual or go to Apple store or Google play store to download the app.
Select your region and then create your HONBIKE account with your email address. Once you have successfully created your account, log in with your account.
Scan the frame number and validation code on the back of your owner's manual to register your U4.
Note: Please confirm that you are the onwer of the bike. Only one account can be registered as the owner.
Press and hold the Power button on your U4 until the display is on.
Your U4 will be connected to the app automatically. It usually takes 3 to 8 seconds, depending on the connectivity.
When the Bluetooth and the Lock icon on your app light up, you have successfully connected your U4 to the app.
Note: Please make sure you have turned on the Bluetooth on your phone.
I can’t connect my U4 to the HONBIKE app
U4 connects to the HONBIKE app via Bluetooth. If you can’t connect your U4 with the HONBIKE app, you can go through the following steps below to solve the problem,
- 1. Please make sure you select the same region as your registered account when you log in.
- 2. Please make sure the account you log in to is the same as the account you used to register your U4.
- 3. Ensure the Bluetooth of your phone is turned on, and your phone is within 10 meters distance of your U4.
- 4. If your bike still can’t be connected to the app, please restart your U4 and the app.